Tuesday, March 15, 2016

40 Words

I found this article a few weeks back.  It was fascinating really.  How many times have you ever said, “I wish I knew what to call this feeling … “?  Well, here are some words that might help.  I know going down the list, there were a few I identified with, especially this one:

Monachopsis

n. the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place, as maladapted to your surroundings as a seal on a beach—lumbering, clumsy, easily distracted, huddled in the company of other misfits, unable to recognize the ambient roar of your intended habitat, in which you’d be fluidly, brilliantly, effortlessly at home.

I confess, if I could only have one word to describe my entire life, it would be that one.  Perhaps on my tombstone, I’ll have “No Longer Feeling Monachopsis!” engraved on it. 

In any case, I’m thinking I should add The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows to my InoReader

Enjoy!  And may you find a word of your very own.  Smile

Exulansis: when there’s not an actual word for what you’re trying to explain. We feel more than we have the language to articulate and express, which is in itself profoundly frustrating. People work through emotions by being able to identify them and use them as signals. A lot of the time, we’re left in the dark. Enter the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows, the brainchild of writer John Koenig, who is here to give you words for the feelings you may not have even known you were having. Here are 40 of them:

40 Words For Emotions You’ve Felt, But Couldn’t Explain | Thought Catalog


Filed under: Article, Writing Tagged: Drafts Folder, Words, Writing

via WordPress

Article, Writing, Drafts Folder, Words

No comments:

Post a Comment